Every American relies on the United States Postal Service (USPS) for mail, medicine, and even food during the pandemic. The USPS employs over half a million people, including many veterans, who all have been true heroes during this pandemic. The organization is a critical lifeline for rural economies and critically important in the cities. Moreover, it would provide millions of citizens a safe way to vote during the catastrophic public health crisis.
Instead of supporting the USPS in its efforts to help Americans fulfill their fundamental rights, Trump is sabotaging the USPS for selfish reasons. He has admitted he opposed additional funding for the USPS because he wants to make it more difficult to deliver millions and millions of mail-in ballots.
During the last months, his new Postmaster General has made cuts to slow mail service while every state plans to rely on the USPS to deliver mail-in ballots by election day. If ballots are late, most states reject the ballots.
Trump has repeatedly attacked the reliability of mail-in ballots, falsely claiming that they facilitate voter fraud and now is taking action to deprive the majority of Americans of their fundamental right to vote safely.
- That every state add ballot drop boxes around their state in easily accessible locations;
- The USPS, a crucial part of our democratic infrastructure, be completely free from politics;
- Congress hold Trump to account for attacking this core democratic institution and stop the voter suppression practices;
- Congress to make sure that the Trump Administration stops threatening the infrastructure that is required to hold a safe, secure, accessible, and fair election in November;
- Congress to provide proper funding for the USPS, so the mail will be delivered in a reliable and timely manner, and the increase in mail-in ballots would be accounted for;
- For an investigation of postal worker reports regarding:
- The removal of essential sorting machines
- The blanket ban on overtime
- The assets held by the Postmaster General and his family that would constitute a conflict of interest.
Sign this petition if you want to protect your voting rights and viable and reliable functioning of our core democratic institutions like the USPS.